Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ballmer Resigns From Microsoft Board (PCMagazine)


Ballmer



Ballmer, who left Microsoft in February, pointed to a "hectic" schedule as his reason for departing.

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today stepped down from the company's board, though he plans to remain Redmond's top shareholder.
Ballmer, who left Microsoft in February after Satya Nadella was named CEO, pointed to a "hectic" schedule as his reason for departing.
"In the six months since leaving, I have become very busy. I see a combination of the Clippers, civic contribution, teaching and study taking a lot of time," Ballmer said in a memo to Nadella.
Ballmer is the now the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, and he greeted his new team in typical Ballmer fashion this week. Some of those civic contributions, meanwhile, include taking part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
"I have confidence in our approach of mobile-first, cloud-first, and in our primary innovation emphasis on platforms and productivity and the building of capability in devices and services as core business drivers," Ballmer wrote. "Given my confidence and the multitude of new commitments I am taking on now, I think it would be impractical for me to continue to serve on the board, and it is best for me to move off."
"I bleed Microsoft," the former CEO insisted: 34 years and counting.
"Count on me to keep ideas and inputs flowing. The company will move to higher heights," he wrote. "I will be proud, and I will benefit through my share ownership. I promise to support and encourage boldness by management in my role as a shareholder in any way I can."
Ballmer announced plans to step down as CEO last summer after a tough period that saw Windows 8 and Windows Phone, not to mention Surface tablet, fail to really catch on. Nadella has his work cut out for him, and recently announced massive layoffs in a bid to transform the software giant.
Chloe Albanesius has been with PCMag.com since April 2007, most recently as Executive Editor for News and Features. Prior to that, she worked for a year covering financial IT on Wall Street for Incisive Media. From 2002 to 2005, Chloe covered technology policy for The National Journal's Technology Daily in Washington, DC. She has held internships at NBC's Meet the Press, washingtonpost.com, the Tate Gallery press office in London, Roll Call, and Congressional Quarterly.


No comments:

Post a Comment